Meet the Team: Home Office Edition - September 2020
Meet Jonathan Hoyle, the Projects Manager for Autobell Car Wash.
Tell us a little bit about your job history before beginning your career at Autobell.
From the age of 16, I've been building and/or doing landscaping projects. I attended a technical school in my junior and senior year of high school as part of my class schedule, and I have a two-year degree in Civil Engineering. I started my first job with R-Anell Housing Group out of school. I worked 17 years at R-Anell where I built homes in the factory, worked in sales, and even designed the blueprints for our home builds and for customers.
How did you learn about the job opportunity at Autobell?
In 2012, I heard from a friend that Autobell was looking for someone to help with their construction business. I had an interview with Monty Rast, Director of Operations, and one of the first things he told me was, "We will have enough construction projects to keep you very busy!" I was hired shortly after and began my now 8-year career at Autobell.
What are the roles and responsibilities you've had at Autobell?
I started as a Service Technician and worked in that role for almost three years before becoming the Assistant Field Service Technician Manager and held that role for around a year. We were growing so much that Jonathan Thomas, now Director of Construction, needed to fill that position full time, and I was promoted to the Field Service Technician Manager and performed in that role for a year and a half. I've now been the Projects Manager for nearly two years. I handle the remodeling of our current locations, including the parking lots, general maintenance needs, and anything construction-related, which is around 60% of my projects. The other 40% is new construction for Autobell. Additionally, I manage all the subcontractors we use during our remodels and new builds.
Tell us about the new Finishing Area vacuum project?
With all our Finishing Area vacuums' success at store #59 in Mableton, GA, Carl Howard Chief Operating Officer, and Monty Rast wanted to test more in different states and locations with differing volumes. We first converted store #25 in Charlotte, NC, to the new system in just three days. We start day one digging up the parking lot and hauling away debris. Then we install the electrical and vacuum lines in the ground and cover in backfill. The first day takes us nearly 15 hours, but we are used to working long days to keep the car wash open. Day two, we pour the High Early concrete first thing in the morning and then begin site cleanup. By 4 pm that day, we can install the vertical risers that will hold the vacuum can and lines. Day three, we start to connect all the electrical and begin testing. If everything goes well, we can flip the switch and vacuum in the finishing area around noon.
Tell us something surprising about yourself?
My favorite hobby is paintball. I play paintball at my house, which is considered woodsball paintball, and I've played that for 20 years. I have four acres set up as a course at my home, and we even play there during the winter. My son was on the NC State team, and I watched him play at several places and national tournaments for paintball. I also have a small boat, and we go out on Lake Norman in the summer. Additionally, I volunteer on Saturdays for Habitat for Humanity of Lincoln County and help build homes and work with volunteers on construction sites.
Personal note - Jonathan has been married for 25 years to his wife, Chrystal and, has a daughter Brooklyn, and a son Jonathan-Ballard. His daughter will be getting married this November and wants to be a high school counselor/school psychologist. Jonathan's son graduated from NC State with a degree in Agriculture and works for a lawn care company. Chrystal is a North Carolina Pre-K Specialist for Lincoln County. Additionally, Jonathan is studying to receive his North Carolina General Contractors building license.